2015 GMC Canyon Revealed – What You Need to Know
GM has released the details on its new 2015 GMC Canyon. Is this truck strong enough to change up the mid-size truck market? Nope, but it does have some features that every truck buyer will appreciate.On the Saturday before the North American International Auto Show, GM revealed the truck through a press release hoping to get a jump on the media coverage. The Chevrolet Colorado twin is set to share the same engine and cab configurations. Like the Colorado, the Canyon will be offered in an extended cab, crew cab with 5 foot bed and a crew cab with a 6 foot bed. The line is that when you drop the tailgate on the 6 foot bed, it will hold items 8 feet long. There will not be a regular cab, instead GM is sticking with its plan to offer a “rear-seat delete” option at the dealership. Powering the truck will be the same four cylinder and V-6 engines with a diesel offering coming later. GM says the truck has many “segment best” features like:
- Segment-first CornerStep rear bumper design, pioneered on the 2014 Sierra, is standard
- Available segment-first EZ Lift-and-Lower locking tailgate that uses an internal torsion bar to make raising the tailgate easier with one hand, and a damper for more-controlled lowering
- The segment’s best horsepower – an estimated 193 horsepower (146 kW) from a standard 2.5L I-4 and an estimated 302 horsepower (224 kW) from an available 3.6L V-6
- The segment’s best payload of at least 1,450 pounds (657 kg)
- The segment’s best maximum trailering rating (when properly equipped) of at least 6,700 pounds (3,039 kg)
- Even greater capability with a powerful and efficient Duramax 2.8L turbodiesel engine coming in 2016
- Standard two-tier loading that allows a platform to effectively split the bed into upper and lower sections, making it easier to haul, store and conceal items such as tools
- Thirteen reconfigurable and four stationary tie-down locations throughout the bed for use with available, removable cargo tie-down rings
- Standard bed rail and tailgate protectors
- Available factory-installed spray-in bed liner
- Range of 16-, 17- and 18-inch aluminum wheels
You can hear all about the truck by checking out our sister site: 2015 GMC Canyon Revealed – Little Sierra Plus.While, I’ll let you read my other article, there are several features though that I would like to see on the Toyota Tundra. My list includes: a Turbodiesel, the longer bed configuration, the rear locking differential option, AutoTrac auto 4WD, the new “teen” driver software option (if you have kids, you would understand) and the CornerStep (it is nice) feature.
What’s on your list? Any of these items grab your attention.
Filed Under: Auto News